Monday, February 14, 2011

*Sings* Its our Anniversary

In honor of our 6 month anniversary (although it was last Monday but who’s counting) (Can you guys believe its been a half of a year!) I thought I share 6 random things that I LOVE and HATE about NYC. (these things are not in any particular order)

HATES:
1.       Laundry. Seriously it takes a prayer, mind preparation and a cab ride to get this done-- even still I’m never ready for the “wash-a-teria”. It’s a battle yall, one I just don’t like fighting. (pray that our next spot has a laundry room on site, or that our land lord doesn’t charge us 100 a PIECE to use theirs. Yea 300 dollars a month/3,600 dollars a year not including rent. We don’t even wash that much! Shoot with that much you can buy you a new washer and dryer every couple months! (Tell ‘em why you mad B lol)
2.       Men. Ok by no means am I a man basher, but the fellas here, well let me re-phrase that, the ones I’ve met have been so lack-luster. Call me old fashion but a lady likes to be courted--even if that only means holding the train door open sometimes or getting me Chinese takeout, It’s the little things that count and quite frankly the guys I’ve met here just don’t seem to get this basic principle. (sigh)
3.       Grocery Shopping. I think you guys all know Dani’s and I sentiments about this daunting task… if not refer to Clean up on Aisle...
4.       Cold Weather. Now I know your thinking Jamee you knew good and well when you went there it gets cold. Well yes I did, but what I didn’t know was that it gets DARK at like 4:45p.m.,the sky is always gloomy and just makes the days seem so bleak. I’m a sunshine kinda girl. I’m the type to wake up and open the blinds to let in the sunlight, even if you are sleeping J
5.       Dirty Trains. Again everyone knows NY is not known for “Cleanest city in America”, but gosh-lee these freaking trains are the dirtiest things I’ve encountered. Eeeeeek just the thought makes me feel dirty. Granted there are some lines that are cleaner than others but overall they get a D+ in my book
6.       Long commutes. My gosh minimum travel time here is 1hour. Planning to go somewhere is like planning a mini trip out of town. Not to mention late night commuting. You might as well ask can you sleep over wherever you’re at, or sleep in the train station because its guaranteed that you’re going to wait at least 30-45 min for a train if its anytime past midnight.

 LOVES:
1.       Public Acceptance. I love the fact that only in NYC ( I’m sure other cities where mass transit is the norm) is it acceptable to be at the bus stop with a cell phone! Any other place you would get the serious side eye standing at the bus stop w/a phone.
2.       The people and energy. I cannot express to you guys how much culture and diversity exist here. I’m so thankful for the friends I’ve made—both old and new, they keep me motivated and inspired
3.       Red Velvet Cupcakes. This one is kind of weird, see I didn’t really start eating red velvet cake until an old co-worker (Hey Dellone! Hope you see this) made me one of the best red velvet cakes known to man! From that day forward I was literally red from all the red velvet cake I was consuming, If I could I would eat a slice everyday (ok not to that extreme, but you get the point). After one  night on the town Dani and I stopped at this lil bodega (NY slang for corner store) and I got the best red velvet cupcake ever! Sadly I haven’t had one since b/c we no longer go to that club L, but needless to say, it left a lasting impression on my taste buds thus getting a mention in this post.
4.       Late Night escapades. Some of the most fun I’ve had has been unplanned trips to random places with even more random people. You can never really know what to expect when you hit the city. It can be a total bust or blast and for that it makes the list! (S/o to our friend DjKblack who always knows how to show us a good time! Heyyy Keith)
5.       Summer Summer Summer Time. Although I didn’t experience the whole summer here and only caught the tail end, I loved every min of it. Well aside from the walking countless blocks in scorching heat (yes friends it gets pretty darn hot in the summer here) you may refer to some of our previous post in which we talked about it. But I think since we now have a better sense of direction (thank God!) I’m sure those walks won’t be so dreadful this summer and we have a lot to look forward to.
6.       My roommates. Throughout our short time together I can honestly say I love these girls! From Dani’s secret hood and hopeless  romantic ways to Saba’s loud talking, fab wearing shoe having self!

There are so many other things that I love and not so much hate but for now this will do. Let’s see how this list looks when our 1 year anniversary arrives, I’m sure I’ll have way more than 12 loves and hopefully less than 12 hates! ;)

Till next time Lovers…. Holla!
JJ

P.s. Happy VALENTIMES DAY as my bestie would say!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Loved this...def agreed on all points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very proud of you! You decided NYC was for you and you did it! It is hard to believe it's been 6 months, but you've learned lots and have some wonderful experiences. Sorry, I'm a little late, but Happy Valentimes' Day! Know that folks in Texas are thinking of you and wishing you well. Take care, kids!!

    ReplyDelete